View our Product & Service Directory. You can even print it to keep it handy!
Product & Service Directory
In the wake of The Great Flood of 1955 which devastated the shores of Frenchtown, NJ and neighboring areas, Howard J. Opdyke and Caroline M. Opdyke, made the decision to purchase a lumber company located in the center of Frenchtown. Howard had previously been a respected contractor in the community, and the couple desired to aid in the reconstitution of their beloved town while pledging a foundation that would enable the livelihood of their family. Rebuilding after such devastation was hard work, but soon H.J. Opdyke Lumber Company was in full operation and flourishing.
A warehouse was built on a three acre parcel of land located one mile north of Frenchtown in Alexandria Township and the operation moved there in the fall of 1958. In 1964, the company decided to build a store in front of the warehouse and lumberyard to house the myriad of supplies Opdyke was adding to its lumber business. To accommodate its growing success, an addition was built on the storefront in 1971.
The 1980's brought tremendous growth in residential building to central New Jersey. Capitalizing on that movement, H.J. Opdyke Lumber Company made the transition from a small, local company to a regional supplier of lumber, building materials, and millwork. In 1981, the old storefront was replaced with a new 10,000 square foot store with additional warehouse space for expansion. Shortly thereafter in 1985, approximately 2 acres of land was added to the property and another 8,000 square feet of warehouse space was built.
In 1995, H.J. Opdyke Lumber Company acquired a second operation in Belle Mead, NJ. Established as a satellite of the Frenchtown location, this new venture included a store, warehouse space, and a lumberyard. Two years later, the decision was made to acquire a 14,000 square foot warehouse complex in nearby Milford, NJ to aid exclusively in the distribution of their expanding window, cabinetry, and stair business.
After the passing of Caroline in 1998, Jack became president of H.J. Opdyke Lumber Company to lead the legacy of his family. Under his direction in 2000, a two story office building was erected in the Frenchtown location to house the company's growing administrative staff.
In the five years that followed, H.J. Opdyke Lumber opened the doors of their Kitchen Design Center in Hillsborough, NJ to serve builders and their clients as well as a third operation in Boonville, NY to accommodate their customers north of New Jersey.
Today, H.J. Opdyke Lumber Company has four locations to serve its customers. Third generation family member, John Opdyke assists his dad with the family business and plans to continue their shared vision.